Setting the dinner table: posh people in fancy frocks and suits make it look so easy, and yet there are many people out there who become alarmingly confused when it’s time to put out the cutlery (I was once one of those alarmingly confused people!). Whether you’re having a fancy meal or a casual dinner with friends, setting the table is important. You need to remember where to put the plates, knives, forks, spoons, and glasses to be successful and make the table look good – which actually isn’t too hard and can easily be remembered for all occasions with two simple techniques!
Setting a Formal Dinner Table
Setting a formal dinner table for a more fancy dinner can look difficult, but we’ve got it covered!
1. All guests should have a matching placemat, and these should also match the tablecloth. Arrange the placemats first, one in front of each of your guests places.
2. Napkins are an important part of a formal dinner, as they allow guests to politely wipe away any food from the face and protect posh frocks while they’re at it. Place a napkin for each guest to the left side of the placemat.
3. Place a plate in the middle of each placemat, ideally just covering the right side of the napkin.
4. Utensils go from the outside in, so your dinner fork needs to be closest to your plate with the salad fork a little further away. The prongs should be facing away from the diner. Place the knife on the other side of the plate in the same way, with the blade of the knife facing the plate away from the diner.
5. A teaspoon should be placed at the left side of the knife, which will be used for hot drinks after dinner. Place a soup spoon next to the teaspoon if serving soup as a starter.
6. Wine glasses should be at the top right corner of the placemat.
You’re done! Now for the next setting:
Setting a Casual Dinner Table
There isn’t as much pressure when setting a casual dinner table as there is when setting a formal dinner table, so just relax and follow these instructions:
1. Give everybody a placemat (these can be a more casual style than at a formal meal), and set a napkin to the left.
2. Pop a plate in the middle of the placemat. Although this is a casual get together, it will still look better if all plates match.
3. Place the dinner fork to the left of the plate, and the knife to the right of the plate. If you’re serving soup, add a soup spoon to the right of the knife. You don’t have as many knives and forks as you traditionally do with a formal meal.
4. Place a wine glass and a water glass just above the knife and soup spoon.
You’re done! Not so hard after all, is it? In both cases, the only other thing you need to remember is to give your guests enough room to eat without knocking and bumping one another. Enjoy and good luck!
Popular How To Guides
How To Decide Whether A Vauxhall Could be the Right Car Brand to Invest in
Continually recognized as one of the UK’s most beloved car brands, Vauxhall have once again come in as one of...
How to Ensure Your Car has GAP Insurance
It is not common knowledge amongst motorists, but if your car were to be written off then your comprehensive insurance...
How To Make Awesome Cocktails
The cocktail culture is ever changing with innovations every year. Mixing of different drinks creates new trends of cocktails. Brands...
How To Save Money With Your Gadgets
With the mass amount of sales from our top retailors all year round, and even better deals around the corner...
How To for Wealth Brokers: Develop Your Online Networking Skills
There are numerous statistics that reinforce the value of social networking for businesses, regardless of the industry in which they...
How To Live Well with a Disability: Improving Your Quality of Life
Living with a disability can make life more challenging, especially if you are newly disabled. Depending on your disability, there...
How to Make Your Office More Eco-Friendly
Research has shown that an office designed with the environment in mind can help improve your workplace culture, making it...
How to Trade Forex to Make Extra Cash?
Everyone is looking to make some extra cash in a side hustle. This is mainly because people need a little...
Business3 years ago
5 Things You Must Consider Before Starting A Construction Company
Cars & Vehicles3 years ago
How To Deal With A Driving Offence (Quick Tips)
Games / Video Games1 year ago
How To Connect a Mouse and Keyboard to Your PlayStation 4
Sport1 year ago
How To Get Into A New Sport: 10 Inspiring Tips
Cleaning5 years ago
How to Make a Shower Tray Look Like New
Fun1 year ago
How to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse
Business4 years ago
How to Make Your Own Mini Conveyor Belt
Home Maintenance & Repair4 years ago
How To Build Your Own Fitted Wardrobes