A TENs machine is an effective nerve stimulation machine for some. The machine allows women to use a handheld device to give them relief during intense labour pains, and is a totally non invasive and natural way to do so. The TENs machine has loads of benefits, including; the possibility of eliminating the need for medical pain relief, relaxing you during pregnancy, and having no side effects on you or your baby. Your labour could seem over in minutes rather than hours, and you’ll eliminate much of the pain you would have felt had you not decided to use a TENs machine.
How to Use Your TENs Machine
You should always follow the manufacturers instructions when it comes to using your TENs machine. However, the instructions will usually go as follows:
- Two pads will be placed on either side of your spine, so that they are around the level of your bra strap.
- The other two pads will go at the bottom of your back, just above your bum. Gel on the pads will help them to adhere to your skin better.
- You’ll be able to hold the controller in your hand while in labour, allowing you to give relief as you choose. There are various strength buttons you can select with the machine, including a max strength button that could help to get you through very strong contractions.
How Exactly Does a TENs Machine Work?
There’s a theory that the machine helps to block the pain signals travelling to your brain due to the electrical pulses. The pulses could also encourage your body to produce it’s natural ‘feel good’ hormone, endorphins. It’s probably a combination of both of these that do the trick, along with the fact that you’ll feel more in control of your childbirth and have something to distract you from the pain. There is a lack of evidence that actually suggest these machine’s work, but many mothers swear by them and use them all throughout their pregnancies.
When and How Should You Use a TENs Machine?
You’re normally told to use a TENs machine at the very start of your labour. It’s up to you as to whether you’d like to hire, buy, or borrow a TENs machine. You may also need to buy some TENs replacement pads, just incase.
- Start on the lowest setting at first. When your pains get stronger, increase the intensity of the machine.
- When you’re hitting the peak of contractions, use the boost button to get the most out of the machine.
- Turn the boost button off when you’re contraction has stopped, or you may not feel the benefit of it next time.
The only times you shouldn’t use a TENs machine are:
- If you’re less than 37 weeks pregnant.
- If you have a pacemaker or heart problem.
- If you are using water as another method of pain relief.
- If you have epilepsy.
By choosing to use this natural method of pain relief, you could be making the pregnancy less stressful and painful for both you and your baby. Have you used a TENs machine during childbirth? Let us know in the comments!
Popular How To Guides
How To Play The Lottery: Five Things You Need To Know Before Playing
Lotteries are the world’s most popular form of gambling, as the low stakes with potentially life-changing returns are just too...
How To Pack For Your Long Haul Journey
The two main things to combat on a long haul journey are boredom and discomfort. This list of things to...
How to Create a Car Budget
Buying a car and paying for all the additional services, such as car insurance, can be pretty expensive. Globally, the expectation...
How To Visualize What A Loyal Gamer Has Spent Following A Video Game Series
Gaming can become an expensive, yet fun hobby. Enjoyed by millions of people around the world, video games have become...
How To Edit PDF Files for Mac Users
Most of the readers that are used to display PDF files on Macs don’t have any editing tools whatsoever –...
How To Start Your Own Website – Basic Tips
These days, it seems that just about everyone has a blog or a website. If you think that sounds like...
How To Get Into eSports
Competitive video gaming, aka eSports, is a growing industry and is fast becoming part of the mainstream sports. There are...
How To Increase The Lifespan of Machinery Using Simple Steps
Not just machinery related to mining, farming, and industrial processes require constant maintenance but every machinery and equipment no matter...
Business2 years ago
5 Things You Must Consider Before Starting A Construction Company
Cars & Vehicles3 years ago
How To Deal With A Driving Offence (Quick Tips)
Games / Video Games11 months ago
How To Connect a Mouse and Keyboard to Your PlayStation 4
Cleaning4 years ago
How to Make a Shower Tray Look Like New
Sport11 months ago
How To Get Into A New Sport: 10 Inspiring Tips
Cars & Vehicles11 months ago
Can You Really Afford That Car? How To Know If You Are Making The Right Decision
Business4 years ago
How to Make Your Own Mini Conveyor Belt
Other2 years ago
How to Spend Your Savings Responsibly For An Easier Retirement