Hey, here’s a fun fact you probably already know: our homes are very important to us. I know, mind-blowing, right? They are, after all, where we live. They keep us sheltered from the outside world. They give us our own space to play and think, or spend with our friends and loved ones. With our homes being so undeniably vital to our lives, we wouldn’t dare hesitate to get a repair sorted if something looks a little awry. Right?
Well, despite how important these buildings are to the people living in them, the typical home has a whole host of problems. And it’s not all that uncommon for people to see a big problem and think to themselves “meh, I’ll fix that later.” They may even choose to ignore them altogether. We assume that nothing too bad can happen where we live. Our homes are where we go to escape the annoyances and dangers of the outside world. We almost want to deny that annoyances and dangers could ever exist at home!
Ultimately, the problem here is that we take our homes for granted. I’m not writing this article as some angelic, masterful guru. I’ve ignored some pretty bad problems in my own homes, for sure. I’m not saying you have to call the fire department every time you notice a tear in the furniture. But there are a lot of problems that seem small at first that can evolve into something much worse. If you notice any of these problems in your home take action immediately!
Mold and cracking
Mold and cracking in the walls is generally caused by a building up of moisture in your home. This moisture will usually take the form of condensation. Without a suitable escape route from your home, it will seep into the walls and cause all kinds of trouble.
This moisture buildup can eventually cause structural weakness. The first sign of this is cracking in the walls. These cracks in the wall can also harbor a lot of bacteria. But before these things show, you’ll usually see mold growing in corners and near the floor. Mold releases pathogenic bacteria that can cause illnesses and severe respiratory problems. It’s not just an ugly sight. It’s a big health hazard! Take steps to remove mold as soon as possible.
When we think of household pests, we usually think of the ones we can see quite easily. We think of cockroaches getting into our kitchens. Or raccoons getting into our garbage and crawl spaces. Or wasp nests hanging ominously in the attic. But perhaps the biggest pest danger to your average home is that of a creature that tends to hide away in the walls. And people don’t tend to notice they’re there until it’s too late.
I am, of course, referring to termites. You may have heard about termites before and imagined them as kind of harmless. So they like to chew on a little wood from time to time. So what, eh? How much wood can a termite eat? Well, a termite can eat more wood than you may think. And it’s not like you’re only going to have just the one. If you’ve got termites, you’re going to have thousands. And they can cause serious structural damage. If you see any termites or sense hollow areas in the walls where there weren’t any before? Then you should seek professional assistance in getting rid of them.
Some people seem to think that every roof leaks a little. But as long as there’s something between the roof and where you eat, sleep and watch TV, then it’s no big deal. A few drips in the attic can’t be too big a concern, right? Well, I’ve already outlined the dangers of excess moisture in your home. That water buildup in the attic is going to cause rotting, mold and structural weakness.
But leaks in your roof can be indicative of much more serious issues on the horizon. A roof collapse is a pretty intense thing to predict. But if water is building up underneath the tiles of your roof, then you should expect some severe damage to it eventually. Unfortunately, locating the external source of the leak can be very tricky. And fixing it takes carpentry skills that might be outside your areas of expertise. As soon as you notice a roof leak, call a company such as Mr Roof.
We hear about gas leaks quite a lot in the media. Usually, they’re associated with explosions in Hollywood blockbusters. But that’s just Hollywood being ridiculous, right? Gas leaks can’t present that much of a risk, can it?
Wrong again, friend. A gas leak can occur from a broken gas main or a stove gas burner that hasn’t been turned off. If you smell gas, you need to take action immediately. Go to your stove and inspect it. If the gas leak isn’t coming from there, then I’ve got some pretty extreme advice for you: get out of your house and call 911! You can also call your gas provider, but the fire department in certain states are now authorized to respond to these calls.
Alternatively, the gas leak could be carbon monoxide. This is often the result of a cracked heat exchanger, but it can come from other sources. Whatever the problem, it needs to be solved immediately to prevent poisoning. Don’t ignore what your carbon monoxide detector is telling you!
We’re all surrounded by electricity these days. We’ve become pretty accustomed to the various quirks of our machines and devices. We’re certainly used to the fact that things running on electricity tend to get a bit warm after hours of use. Just feel your computer right now. Pretty hot, right? And that’s fine. It’s normal. As long as it’s not scorching, it’s probably okay.
The danger comes when we extend that thinking to the power outlets or switches. These things shouldn’t be getting hot! It means your electrical system is getting stressed or overtaxed. This kind of electrical faults is what can start house fires. Best to get an electrician on the case as soon as possible.