How to Fund Your Trips as a Digital Nomad
There is certainly no shortage of people hopping on the remote online business bandwagon. Some of these people have even joined the ranks of the digital nomad movement with more and more people trading in their 9-to-5 jobs for traveling the world while working. This may have some appeal to you, and the good news is that there are several ways to fund your travel without spending much of your savings.
Mark Twain once said, “In 20 years, you will be more disappointed by what you didn’t do than by what you did. “There probably is a bit of truth to this. Ditching the traditional cubicle for a coffee shop in Prague is definitely enticing, and the following globetrotting business ideas can get you there. Let’s dive in!
- Take Your Professional Experience On The Road With An Online Business
Starting your own business does not need to be challenging. In fact, you probably have the expertise and professional knowledge to pull it off just fine. Just imagine recreating your current office experience and simply making it digital. It really is that simplistic. And the best part is that you can set up your online remote business before you quit the day job and board for Borneo.
Forst, it is important to get your professional skills visible online. This requires a few important essentials, such as a WordPress website theme for an online business, a domain name, and a professional WordPress hosting provider. Once you have that in place, create great web page content, sprinkle in call to action (CTA) buttons, and start advertising.
Not sure what business to start? Here are a few questions to ask
- What experience can I offer to others and help them grow and be successful?
- Can I do this business remotely?
- What is the market for my experience?
- Where can I work (coffee shop, hotel, hostel, etc.)?
- Can I do it all solo, or do I need to hire a few other people?
- What will accepting payments and invoicing customers look like?
- How do I set up a business account and LLC my business?
- How do I file taxes if I’m self-employed?
- Become A Creative And Provide Freelance Services
Starting a creative website that serves up great creative services, such as content development, SEO, website design, PPC advertising, and more, can have excellent travel funding potential. This is a pretty common career choice for those who want to travel the world and not pay for it. Some creatives even get work in the countries they are traveling through as well.
Since you will be launching an online creative agency, you will need to first establish an online presence. This means launching a website. However, your website can be pretty simple, letting your actual portfolio of work do the talking for you. Incorporate website elements like:
- A website homepage with a picture of you, your story, and your value proposition
- An about page with a more in-depth story about you and your creative career journey
- A portfolio page showcasing your past work and projects
- A contact page with a message capture, as well as your email, phone number, and social media profile links.
- Launch A Blog About Your Daily Travels
This one is a no brainer when it comes to funding your travel. However, this is probably one of the most saturated ways to get money while globetrotting. Is it impossible? No, but you will need to be ready to put in some work and follow some very simple optimization practices.
Starting a blog is easy. You simply get a website host and choose from a number of blog themes. To have a successful blog, it is all about what you post, and how you post it. You need to do in-depth keyword research to ensure you are going to rank appropriately, earning you the traffic that you can leverage later for ads and affiliate marketing.
Next, post long content. Long-form content in the 2,000-word range has been shown to rank far better than short blog posts. You also want to become a multi-channel blogger. Post videos that compliment your blogs, as well as add in a whole bunch of stunning travel images.
Wrapping Up . . .
There are a number of ways to fund your travel, and the above are definitely not the end-all, be-all ideas. They are, however, a few of the easiest to establish and grow exponentially. You can even start these types of globetrotting business ideas before ever leaving your day job for the Amazon jungle. Have you successfully funded your travel with a digital nomad gig? We want to hear your suggestions.