If your feel intimidated by the concept of search engine optimization, you are not alone.
There are over one billion websites out there, and we create more than five exabytes of content each day. Internet users are so hungry for information that Google receives 40,000 search queries per second.
With so much noise coming from everywhere, getting to the top of Google seems almost like an impossible task. So, there’s no wonder that some pundits have started to question the power of SEO can call it a dead art.
But, here’s the thing: precisely because the Internet is getting more crowded than ever before, you need to learn the basics of SEO.
Here’s what you need to know.
Getting Started with SEO: the Basics
Google uses over 200 factors to decide which pages to rank high. Of course, you can’t create your content taking into account hundreds of factors. However, there are a few basic principles that can help you rank high.
- Quality Content: Content is the king. You’ve heard it over and over again, but it’s the truth. Google focuses on providing the best possible answers to the largest possible audience. If your content is poor, irrelevant to the search or spammy, readers will bounce. A high bounce rate will tell Google that your site is not useful, which can lead to a drop in ranking.
- Authority: Qualitative content can also determine whether or not other authoritative sites will link back to your content. The more relevant sources reference your site, the higher the domain authority.
- User Experience: Keeping your visitors engaged and satisfied requires an excellent user experience. That means your site needs to be easy to navigate and contain relevant content and inbound and outbound
- Cross–Device Compatibility: A successful SEO strategy cannot exist without a focus on mobile optimization. In fact, Google announced that it will favor mobile-friendly sites in search over desktop ones.
- Site Speed: If your site takes more than a couple of seconds to load that will translate into a poor user experience. So, give up all the bells and whistles and focus on functionality over aesthetics.
Don’t Overdo It
As with most things in life, when it comes to SEO, less means more. Optimizing your content doesn’t mean that you should integrate as many keywords as possible. On the contrary! One or two long-tail keywords relevant to your niche that are placed strategically in your headline, Meta description, header, body, and image ALT tags will be more than enough to get your site to rank high.
Consequently, excessive link exchanging, publishing duplicated or thin content or using too many interstitials can also get your site on the bad side of Google. Not only that search engines dismiss these practices, but even Internet users are turned off by them.
As far as link building goes, you need to know that guest blogging is still a relevant and useful tactic. However, you need to ensure that the sites you’re guest blogging for are authoritative and, most importantly, relevant to your audience.
Keep your site optimized by ensuring a decent keyword consistency. Don’t overdo it, though. Instead, focus more on device and media optimization and on creating rich content. Try to include videos in your content since they are easier to rank on the first page than it is for other formats. Also, be consistent when it comes to your domain name and have it centralized. You do not want your users to land on the wrong page.
SEO can be time-consuming and extremely frustrating. But, your business can’t exist in the online world without it. Get familiar with its best practices and start implementing them today.
Popular How To Guides
How To Grow The Best Roses In Your Garden
The best roses to grow in your garden are those that require the least maintenance and can resist destruction from...
How to Make Money from Online Casino Bonuses
Today, virtually every single online casino dishes out welcome packages to new customers in the form of bonus money and...
How To Build A Raised Pond In Your Garden
Designers of contemporary gardens often try to avoid natural features and create highly organised, geometrical gardens instead. Raised garden ponds...
How To Play Blackjack
Blackjack is a simple card game. Your goal in blackjack is just to achieve a combined score of twenty-one with...
How to Boost Your Odds of Winning the Lottery
Have you ever thought about what your life would be like if you won the lottery? Visualize having the necessary...
How to Play Bingo Online
Bingo is a great, low-stress type of game that is a great way to relax. However, it isn’t always easy...
How To Become An Administrative Manager Of A Professional Sports Team
The role of a team manager for a professional sports team is very diverse, and the skill of spinning many...
How To Join The World of Bitcoin
For many of us, the whole idea of bitcoin is still a mysterious concept but we’re beginning to notice more and...
Business2 years ago
5 Things You Must Consider Before Starting A Construction Company
Cars & Vehicles3 years ago
How To Deal With A Driving Offence (Quick Tips)
Cars & Vehicles9 months ago
Can You Really Afford That Car? How To Know If You Are Making The Right Decision
Games / Video Games9 months ago
How To Connect a Mouse and Keyboard to Your PlayStation 4
Cleaning4 years ago
How to Make a Shower Tray Look Like New
Other2 years ago
How to Spend Your Savings Responsibly For An Easier Retirement
Sport9 months ago
How To Get Into A New Sport: 10 Inspiring Tips
Real Estate & Investment3 years ago
How To Find Spectacular Estate Agents