If your feel intimidated by the concept of search engine optimization, you are not alone.
There are over one billion websites out there, and we create more than five exabytes of content each day. Internet users are so hungry for information that Google receives 40,000 search queries per second.
With so much noise coming from everywhere, getting to the top of Google seems almost like an impossible task. So, there’s no wonder that some pundits have started to question the power of SEO can call it a dead art.
But, here’s the thing: precisely because the Internet is getting more crowded than ever before, you need to learn the basics of SEO.
Here’s what you need to know.
Getting Started with SEO: the Basics
Google uses over 200 factors to decide which pages to rank high. Of course, you can’t create your content taking into account hundreds of factors. However, there are a few basic principles that can help you rank high.
- Quality Content: Content is the king. You’ve heard it over and over again, but it’s the truth. Google focuses on providing the best possible answers to the largest possible audience. If your content is poor, irrelevant to the search or spammy, readers will bounce. A high bounce rate will tell Google that your site is not useful, which can lead to a drop in ranking.
- Authority: Qualitative content can also determine whether or not other authoritative sites will link back to your content. The more relevant sources reference your site, the higher the domain authority.
- User Experience: Keeping your visitors engaged and satisfied requires an excellent user experience. That means your site needs to be easy to navigate and contain relevant content and inbound and outbound
- Cross–Device Compatibility: A successful SEO strategy cannot exist without a focus on mobile optimization. In fact, Google announced that it will favor mobile-friendly sites in search over desktop ones.
- Site Speed: If your site takes more than a couple of seconds to load that will translate into a poor user experience. So, give up all the bells and whistles and focus on functionality over aesthetics.
Don’t Overdo It
As with most things in life, when it comes to SEO, less means more. Optimizing your content doesn’t mean that you should integrate as many keywords as possible. On the contrary! One or two long-tail keywords relevant to your niche that are placed strategically in your headline, Meta description, header, body, and image ALT tags will be more than enough to get your site to rank high.
Consequently, excessive link exchanging, publishing duplicated or thin content or using too many interstitials can also get your site on the bad side of Google. Not only that search engines dismiss these practices, but even Internet users are turned off by them.
As far as link building goes, you need to know that guest blogging is still a relevant and useful tactic. However, you need to ensure that the sites you’re guest blogging for are authoritative and, most importantly, relevant to your audience.
Keep your site optimized by ensuring a decent keyword consistency. Don’t overdo it, though. Instead, focus more on device and media optimization and on creating rich content. Try to include videos in your content since they are easier to rank on the first page than it is for other formats. Also, be consistent when it comes to your domain name and have it centralized. You do not want your users to land on the wrong page.
SEO can be time-consuming and extremely frustrating. But, your business can’t exist in the online world without it. Get familiar with its best practices and start implementing them today.
Popular How To Guides
How To See the Sights of London in One Weekend
If you have never been to London before, you may be wondering where to start with a plethora of landmarks...
How To Trade Forex – Forex Trading Tips You Shouldn’t Ignore
The stock market can be an extremely profitable way of earning a living, however, it can also be highly stressful...
How to Prepare for a Coaching Session
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail – the mantra of any good coach. Before any training session, as a coach,...
How To Become A Competent Hunter
Public interest in hunting had hit a bit of a lull between 2015 and now. However, 16.9 million hunted in Spring of...
How To Get Your Kids Ready For Their First Baseball Game
The first baseball game that you kids play is an exciting time for a parent. There is no better feeling...
How To Start Following Horse Racing
Following horse racing is one of the world’s most popular pasttimes, particularly with those who wager on a regular basis....
How To Convert and Download YouTube videos to your Local Hard Drive
YouTube is a great platform but the second you lose your internet connection, it becomes obsolete. Without a steady connection...
How To Play The Lottery: Five Things You Need To Know Before Playing
Lotteries are the world’s most popular form of gambling, as the low stakes with potentially life-changing returns are just too...
Business2 years ago
5 Things You Must Consider Before Starting A Construction Company
Cars & Vehicles3 years ago
How To Deal With A Driving Offence (Quick Tips)
Games / Video Games12 months ago
How To Connect a Mouse and Keyboard to Your PlayStation 4
Sport1 year ago
How To Get Into A New Sport: 10 Inspiring Tips
Cleaning4 years ago
How to Make a Shower Tray Look Like New
Business4 years ago
How to Make Your Own Mini Conveyor Belt
Home Maintenance & Repair4 years ago
How To Build Your Own Fitted Wardrobes
Cars & Vehicles12 months ago
Can You Really Afford That Car? How To Know If You Are Making The Right Decision