If you are the owner of a small business, you may be in a vulnerable position. Take a look around the premises and ask yourself what would happen if a significant amount of stock disappeared overnight. Your IT systems could be at risk too. Could your business continue to function if all the computer systems cease to operate at once?
Don’t think you are immune from such disasters, they happen all the time to unsuspecting businesses that are already struggling to survive. The good news is that you can take steps to prevent it. You are an expert in your field, and you need to accept that there are people out there who are masters of theirs. You must consult the experts who will recommend solutions to your problem. Here are a few areas they will address and a few possible answers.
The consultant from Hallmark will check the perimeter of your premises first. Maybe there is a point of weakness that you must protect. Here are a few ideas they may suggest.
- New and sturdy fencing is the first line of defence. You should install an approved product because it could have an impact on your insurance premium.
- Closed circuit television with a digital recording device will deter intruders. If they gain entry, you will have the evidence to convict if the police catch them.
- Remote controlled barriers will control who can enter the area during the day and night.
- Your building may benefit from a night watchman with a guard dog. It is by far the best way to ensure everything you worked so hard to build is safe. A human presence is enough to deter most intruders, but few of the others will climb over the fence if they know a well-trained guard dog is waiting for them.
- A security alarm will protect the buildings and may be a condition of insurance. They can be troublesome at times but are necessary nonetheless.
When the buildings and land are secure, turn your attention to the digital systems.
Many people who became victims of cybercrime thought it would never happen to them. The attacks are sophisticated, and it can cost your business dearly if you don’t do everything you can to protect it. Here are a few areas to concentrate your efforts.
- Use a secure firewall to filter traffic in and out of your building. Free firewall software may not give you the security and flexibility you need on systems with multiple terminals.
- Install and update the best antivirus on every machine. The computers might have a trojan or a worm, and you will have no idea. The software will seek out and remove the viruses for which it has definitions. It is a fluid battle, which is why updates are vital.
- Do not allow your staff to use flash drives or discs from home. They could infect your machines with viruses and malware.
You should ask a consultant to assess your technology and systems to look for vulnerabilities. They are experts in their field and will spot problems of which you are oblivious.
I don’t mean to scare you, but you must act to protect your livelihood before it is too late. At the end of the day, it is all tax deductible. Shrewd business owners enjoy lowering their tax bill while improving their company. Are you that smart?
Popular How To Guides
How To Decide Whether A Vauxhall Could be the Right Car Brand to Invest in
Continually recognized as one of the UK’s most beloved car brands, Vauxhall have once again come in as one of...
How to Ensure Your Car has GAP Insurance
It is not common knowledge amongst motorists, but if your car were to be written off then your comprehensive insurance...
How To Make Awesome Cocktails
The cocktail culture is ever changing with innovations every year. Mixing of different drinks creates new trends of cocktails. Brands...
How To Save Money With Your Gadgets
With the mass amount of sales from our top retailors all year round, and even better deals around the corner...
How To for Wealth Brokers: Develop Your Online Networking Skills
There are numerous statistics that reinforce the value of social networking for businesses, regardless of the industry in which they...
How To Live Well with a Disability: Improving Your Quality of Life
Living with a disability can make life more challenging, especially if you are newly disabled. Depending on your disability, there...
How to Make Your Office More Eco-Friendly
Research has shown that an office designed with the environment in mind can help improve your workplace culture, making it...
How to Trade Forex to Make Extra Cash?
Everyone is looking to make some extra cash in a side hustle. This is mainly because people need a little...
Business3 years ago
5 Things You Must Consider Before Starting A Construction Company
Cars & Vehicles3 years ago
How To Deal With A Driving Offence (Quick Tips)
Games / Video Games1 year ago
How To Connect a Mouse and Keyboard to Your PlayStation 4
Sport1 year ago
How To Get Into A New Sport: 10 Inspiring Tips
Cleaning5 years ago
How to Make a Shower Tray Look Like New
Fun1 year ago
How to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse
Business4 years ago
How to Make Your Own Mini Conveyor Belt
Home Maintenance & Repair4 years ago
How To Build Your Own Fitted Wardrobes