How To Plan The Perfect Vacation in Turks and Caicos
Turks and Caicos is a breathtakingly beautiful tropical island cluster located in the Caribbean basin in the North Atlantic Ocean, nested between the Dominican Republic and the Bahama Islands. It is a British Overseas Territory, located 600 miles from Miami and nearly 2,000 miles from Washington, D.C.
Over one million travelers from across the world visit Turks and Caicos each year for a superlative beach vacation experience rated among the best globally. If you are planning a family vacation or a couple’s coastal retreat, Turks and Caicos is an option worth considering. Here are some important and interesting facts about this little paradise on earth.
20 Quick Facts
- Turks and Caicos (TCI) is a string of 40 islands and cays, of which only 8 are inhabited.
- Temperatures range between 73 degrees and 88 degrees Fahrenheit throughout the year.
- Best time to visit is December to May.
- Hurricane season is from June 1 until November 30.
- The total population of the 8 inhabited islands is about 32,000.
- The residents speak English, the islands’ official language.
- US dollar is the official currency of Turks and Caicos.
- The islands follow Atlantic Standard Time (AST) throughout the year.
- Providenciales is Turks and Caicos’ most visited island.
- The international airport is located in Providenciales.
- US citizens with valid passport do not need visa for travel to Turks and Caicos for short durations.
- Maximum stay allowed to tourists is 30 days.
- All tourists must have a round-trip ticket when visiting Turks and Caicos.
- US citizens who have a valid international drivers’ license can drive in Turks and Caicos for up to a period of 30 days.
- The islands use 120 volt (60Hz) electricity.
- Minimum age to drink alcohol is 18 years.
- Nudity in public is prohibited.
- Consumption or possession of drugs is illegal.
- Possession of firearm or other weapon requires permit.
- No vaccination is required before coming to Turks and Caicos.
Best time to visit Turks and Caicos
The islands have a pleasant climate through the year, mainly due to the year-round trade winds. The best time to visit Turks and Caicos is between December and May, when the temperatures range between a pleasant 80 and 85 degrees. June through October comprise the hot weather months, with maximum temperature of 90 to 95 degrees.
Rains occur during April and May. The first week of June to the end of November is declared hurricane season in Turks and Caicos; however, hurricanes are rare.
The beautiful island of Providenciales
Providenciales in the Caicos Islands is home to nearly three-fourth of TCI’s entire population. It is a popular destination for travelers looking for family-friendly luxurious vacation that combines the best of amenities but also offers an authentic local experience for each family member.
The island is well-equipped with all modern amenities and also has community health clinics, several qualified private doctors, and a well-equipped health center maintained by InterHealth Canada.
The World’s #1 Beach
Providenciales Island is famous for its magnificent Grace Bay beach, recognized as the world’s best beach at the 2018 TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice Awards. This beautiful white-sand beach is pure bliss that stretches 12 miles on the northern coastline of the island.
Grace Bay beach is home to some of the best luxury vacation resorts in all of Turks and Caicos.
As on other Caribbean islands, fresh water is scarce in Turks and Caicos, and therefore often sold at a premium. Tap water is treated through reverse osmosis and is safe to drink; however, if you are prone to getting sick from change in water or climate, it is advisable to drink bottled water purchased from your hotel or the local stores.
Local telephone and cellular services are readily available, and so are cable TV, facsimile, courier and internet. Your US cellphone will work in Turks and Caicos provided you have roaming enabled.
The government-run postal service is available on all eight inhabited islands.
Payments and tipping
You can pay your hotel and local restaurants, stores and cab service in cash or through credit card or traveler’s checks. You can withdraw cash from local ATMs and also avail cash advance on your credit card if needed.
Tipping is a great way to show your appreciation for the service received and is generally 10% or 15%.
To conclude, visiting TCI—and Providenciales in particular—is the once-in-a-lifetime experience that your family will remember for years to come. To get maximum value for your money, look for an all-inclusive value deal for a luxury resort located right at the beach.