A CV or Curriculum Vitae is simply another term for a persons resume’ (or the outline of their education and professional work history). Most of us have put together a CV at some point in our lives, either as part of our education or through professional necessity. Regardless of why you want or need to construct a CV the most important thing is the quality of its construction.
Simply put, a ‘good’ CV should:
- Target specific jobs or duties related to that career
- Quickly and succinctly state your capabilities across as many areas/fields as possible
- Be accurate and feature no glaring grammar or spelling errors
- Paint a positive image of you as a working professional, highlighting your strengths
In other words, if you were applying for different positions with contrasting organizations, you’d want to create separate CV’s for each instance or application. Even if both careers are very similar you shouldn’t simply split the difference between the two and hope for the best. The objective is to pinpoint the skills that specific employers are looking for and present them with your qualifications on a “silver platter”, and in a format that’s quick and easy to grasp, no less. Keep in mind; many hiring agents are very busy individuals who might be responsible for many different duties within a company. They are looking for specific information about you as a potential employee; your job is to make sure that they can access this information with little resistance. Place yourself in their shoes – who would you hire, the person who clearly tells you what they’re capable of, or the one who has imbedded this information amongst non-critical factoids?
Here’s what you should include (in order):
- Personal contact information (phone#, email, address, name, age, date of birth, etc…)
- Education and additional certifications
- Actual work experience (try to relate your duties to skills required by the employer.)
- Additional accomplishments (if for example, you have rescued babies from burning buildings for example, this might greatly reflect on your personal character which could greatly influence a hiring manager’s decision. Also include any activities which are in any way related to what the company does or produces, of course.)
- Skills and Technology-specific skills
- References (generally, this includes at least 2 references, one academic and the other professional, however you might also want to include personal references particularly if you know people in higher positions or offices of power.)
Here are some other things to consider…
Get to the point. There’s no point in detailing every single minor accomplishment you might have ever made; instead, try to focus on your most stunning triumphs. Make sure that your CV isn’t too open or too “cramped”. In other words, make it easy to read in terms of font sizes, paragraph spacing, indentations and so forth. Likewise, print each page on a separate sheet. Try to highlight your strengths and attributes around the middle of the first page if at all possible (because this is the area where most hiring managers’ field of vision tends to “snap” to).
Popular How To Guides
How To See the Sights of London in One Weekend
If you have never been to London before, you may be wondering where to start with a plethora of landmarks...
How To Trade Forex – Forex Trading Tips You Shouldn’t Ignore
The stock market can be an extremely profitable way of earning a living, however, it can also be highly stressful...
How to Prepare for a Coaching Session
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail – the mantra of any good coach. Before any training session, as a coach,...
How To Become A Competent Hunter
Public interest in hunting had hit a bit of a lull between 2015 and now. However, 16.9 million hunted in Spring of...
How To Get Your Kids Ready For Their First Baseball Game
The first baseball game that you kids play is an exciting time for a parent. There is no better feeling...
How To Start Following Horse Racing
Following horse racing is one of the world’s most popular pasttimes, particularly with those who wager on a regular basis....
How To Convert and Download YouTube videos to your Local Hard Drive
YouTube is a great platform but the second you lose your internet connection, it becomes obsolete. Without a steady connection...
How To Play The Lottery: Five Things You Need To Know Before Playing
Lotteries are the world’s most popular form of gambling, as the low stakes with potentially life-changing returns are just too...
Business2 years ago
5 Things You Must Consider Before Starting A Construction Company
Cars & Vehicles3 years ago
How To Deal With A Driving Offence (Quick Tips)
Games / Video Games1 year ago
How To Connect a Mouse and Keyboard to Your PlayStation 4
Sport1 year ago
How To Get Into A New Sport: 10 Inspiring Tips
Cleaning4 years ago
How to Make a Shower Tray Look Like New
Business4 years ago
How to Make Your Own Mini Conveyor Belt
Home Maintenance & Repair4 years ago
How To Build Your Own Fitted Wardrobes
Cars & Vehicles12 months ago
Can You Really Afford That Car? How To Know If You Are Making The Right Decision