How To Clean A Diamond Ring (Step-By-Step)
“Diamonds are a girls best friend” or so the saying goes, and although they look fabulous, day to day wearing of a diamond ring can make it less shiny. Things like hair products, lotions and dirt from touching things can all leave the diamond looking a bit dull. So here is a look at a great way to clean your diamond ring, and a few other options that you may like to try.
1. The first thing you need to do is fill up a bowl of warm water, which you can add either some washing detergent too, or an ammonia based solution, something like window cleaner. Make sure that you work on a 3:1 ratio – 3 parts water, 1 part solution, and mix thoroughly.
2. Place your ring into the solution and let it soak for no longer than 15 minutes.
3. To help remove any built up dirt, you need to use a soft bristle toothbrush, the brush needs to be soft that it does not scratch the actual metal of the ring. Scrub the ring all over and try to get in all of the little holes.
4. Once you are happy it is clean you need to rinse it out in the water to remove any last bits of dirt.
5. Give the ring a final rinse in warm water from the tap, as the ring could easily fall out of hand, you can put the plug into the sink, or make sure you do it over a clean bowl to catch the ring in case you drop it.
6. Lastly using a cloth, lint free is best you can dry the ring, using a patting and blotting motion.
7. If you find that there is still some dirt buried in the ring, repeat the process, you can also make use of a toothpick to get into those stubborn areas.
This is the best, easiest, cheapest and safest way to clean your diamond ring; there are many other remedies that people say to use, and these can include:
With a bit of baking soda and water, mix till you have a paste, rub this onto the diamond ring, rinse and dry. The baking soda acts like a scrub removing mild dirt from a ring.
Jewellery Cleaning Solutions
There are cleaning solutions that you can buy from some stores, where you soak the ring in the solution overnight, then rinse and dry. You need to check these before you use them, as some are designed for certain metals. If you choose the wrong one you could end up damaging the actual band of the ring.
Cleaning At A Jewellers
Many jewellers like Selini High Jewelry (whom offer maintenance and repair also) offer a cleaning service to ensure that the diamond ring is cleaned professionally so that no damage can be caused to the diamond or the band. You may find local experts in your area that may specialize in this too.
In most cases when buying a diamond you can be offered a free cleaning service for a few years or for life; some you may have to pay extra for, but it will be worth it in the end.
Amie Johnson is a blogger and writer about all things fashion.