Renowned aviation enthusiast & Let’s Fly author Matthew C Martino is amongst one of the most respect household names within the aviation field and with his the extensive aviation experience the 21year old shared some of the key tips on “How To Be A Pilot”.
1. Be ready to sacrifice everything – The road to the skies is no easy path and it will probably lead you to neglecting other plans and projects you have! Most airline pilots got their license after years of no holidays, maxed out credit cards and in some cases re-mortgaged houses. There will always be a sacrifice that needs making.
2. Ensure your educationally equipped – I’m not trying to imply that airline pilots hold degrees as in most cases they don’t however they have a high aptitude in maths and physics which makes it easier for them to understand Air Law, Meteorology and other flight related modules. However having a degree or degree does make you a more suitable candidate and airlines look more favourably to such candidates.
3. Understand and decide on the route which you will take – There are various routes to earning a commercial license and you need to decide whether you will do an integrated program or a more flexible training of license by license ie: Private Pilot License, Night Rating , Instrument Rating , Commercial Pilot License & Multi Crew Course or some aircrew joined the Air Force then upon being discharged from their service they take a conversion course. Now the Air Force route also puts you in a position of advantage as you will have more experience.
4. You must know the pros and cons of the industry – Many trainee pilots tend to use reference of the sugar coated life of airline pilots and fail to recognise the actual life of a pilot which holds long hours and constant away from home. There will be times during your training as a pilot or when you’re looking for work when it will get really hard or seem impossible and without total passion in the field you could crumble. After careful research you might realise that maybe you’ll be better off as a seasonal or private pilot. After all flying is one of the best hobbies someone could have.
5. Have financial backing for this desired career path – Whoever said the best things in life are free clearly hadn’t tried to be an airline pilot. It’s been branded one of the most challenging and exciting jobs by top magazines but it still remains very costly. My advice is on money matters is as follows, it doesn’t mean you must be a millionaire however this just means you must have adequate funding ie: work, loan , family finance or pilot grant or scholarship so you can finish your training. Failure to ensure financial backing is in place can actually cause you to lose money as you might drop out of your course midway and not gain a license for certain modules, also bearing in mind that most modules and ratings are valid for 12months or so it means if you don’t get back onto your training wagon within that time you will lose that rating.
That’s all my points on “How To Be A Pilot” wishing you all the very best in the skies and happy landings!
Popular How To Guides
How To Convert and Download YouTube videos to your Local Hard Drive
YouTube is a great platform but the second you lose your internet connection, it becomes obsolete. Without a steady connection...
How To Play The Lottery: Five Things You Need To Know Before Playing
Lotteries are the world’s most popular form of gambling, as the low stakes with potentially life-changing returns are just too...
How To Pack For Your Long Haul Journey
The two main things to combat on a long haul journey are boredom and discomfort. This list of things to...
How to Create a Car Budget
Buying a car and paying for all the additional services, such as car insurance, can be pretty expensive. Globally, the expectation...
How To Visualize What A Loyal Gamer Has Spent Following A Video Game Series
Gaming can become an expensive, yet fun hobby. Enjoyed by millions of people around the world, video games have become...
How To Edit PDF Files for Mac Users
Most of the readers that are used to display PDF files on Macs don’t have any editing tools whatsoever –...
How To Start Your Own Website – Basic Tips
These days, it seems that just about everyone has a blog or a website. If you think that sounds like...
How To Get Into eSports
Competitive video gaming, aka eSports, is a growing industry and is fast becoming part of the mainstream sports. There are...
Business2 years ago
5 Things You Must Consider Before Starting A Construction Company
Cars & Vehicles3 years ago
How To Deal With A Driving Offence (Quick Tips)
Games / Video Games11 months ago
How To Connect a Mouse and Keyboard to Your PlayStation 4
Cleaning4 years ago
How to Make a Shower Tray Look Like New
Sport11 months ago
How To Get Into A New Sport: 10 Inspiring Tips
Cars & Vehicles11 months ago
Can You Really Afford That Car? How To Know If You Are Making The Right Decision
Business4 years ago
How to Make Your Own Mini Conveyor Belt
Other2 years ago
How to Spend Your Savings Responsibly For An Easier Retirement