If you’ve planned a last minute trip to France, then it’s unlikely you’ve taken the time to learn any essential French phrases. Not being able to speak the language of the place you’re visiting can really hinder your trip. You could end up lost, confused, with the wrong meal, the list goes on! The good news is that you can learn the most essential but basic French phrases in just one day. All it takes is a little effort and a good revision technique to get you started!
The Best Revision Technique
It’ll take a little bit more than just reading the phrases over and over again to learn them, in fact that method has been proven the worst way to revise. The best way to revise is to write things down, then repeat them aloud to yourself – but don’t just say them, listen to yourself say them! Picture the phrase in your head as you say it too, an an instance where you could use it. These revision methods are much more effective than reading something multiple times!
Essential Accommodation Phrases
Use these phrases when enquiring about a room or using the bathroom.
- Vous avez? – do you have? You can use this phrase in conjunction with another phrase listed below to ask the right question.
- Une chambre – a room. for example, “vous avez une chambre?” translates as “”do you have a room?”
- La salle de bains – the bathroom. Use this if you need the toilet!
Essential Food and Drink Phrases
These phrases are important to help you order food and drink in France.
- Vous avez une table? – do you have a table? Use at restaurants and cafes!
- Le plat du jour – the day’s special. Order a restaurants special dish of the day.
- Un the – a tea.
- Un cafe – a coffee.
- Au lait – with milk. Order milk in your tea or coffee.
- Une biere – a beer. Use this to order an alcoholic beverage.
- Une carafe d’eau – a jug of water. Order a jug of water for the table with this phrase.
- L’addition, s’il vous plait – the bill please. For when you’re all done and ready to go.
Essential Social Phrases
- Votre nom? – what’s your name?
- Bienvenue – welcome!
- Bonnes vacances! – enjoy your holiday!
- Bon week-end – have a good weekend.
- Bonne nuit – good night.
- Bonne chance – good luck.
Essential Beach Phrases
- Vous avez de la creme solaire? – have you got sun cream?
- Ou est la piscine, s’il vous plait? – where is the swimming pool please?
- Ou est la plus belle plage, s’il vous plait? – where’s the nicest beach please?
Essential Travel Phrases
- Excusez-moi – excuse me.
- C’est loin? – is it far?
- Un billet – a ticket.
- Un aller simple – a single.
- Un aller-retour – a return.
Essential Shopping Phrases
- Je voudrais – I would like.
- Un kilo – a kilo.
- Une bouteille de – a bottle of.
- C’est combien? – how much is it?
Popular How To Guides
How To See the Sights of London in One Weekend
If you have never been to London before, you may be wondering where to start with a plethora of landmarks...
How To Trade Forex – Forex Trading Tips You Shouldn’t Ignore
The stock market can be an extremely profitable way of earning a living, however, it can also be highly stressful...
How to Prepare for a Coaching Session
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail – the mantra of any good coach. Before any training session, as a coach,...
How To Become A Competent Hunter
Public interest in hunting had hit a bit of a lull between 2015 and now. However, 16.9 million hunted in Spring of...
How To Get Your Kids Ready For Their First Baseball Game
The first baseball game that you kids play is an exciting time for a parent. There is no better feeling...
How To Start Following Horse Racing
Following horse racing is one of the world’s most popular pasttimes, particularly with those who wager on a regular basis....
How To Convert and Download YouTube videos to your Local Hard Drive
YouTube is a great platform but the second you lose your internet connection, it becomes obsolete. Without a steady connection...
How To Play The Lottery: Five Things You Need To Know Before Playing
Lotteries are the world’s most popular form of gambling, as the low stakes with potentially life-changing returns are just too...
Business2 years ago
5 Things You Must Consider Before Starting A Construction Company
Cars & Vehicles3 years ago
How To Deal With A Driving Offence (Quick Tips)
Games / Video Games12 months ago
How To Connect a Mouse and Keyboard to Your PlayStation 4
Sport1 year ago
How To Get Into A New Sport: 10 Inspiring Tips
Cleaning4 years ago
How to Make a Shower Tray Look Like New
Business4 years ago
How to Make Your Own Mini Conveyor Belt
Home Maintenance & Repair4 years ago
How To Build Your Own Fitted Wardrobes
Cars & Vehicles12 months ago
Can You Really Afford That Car? How To Know If You Are Making The Right Decision