Customising T-shirts is a fun and creative way to express our personalities and jazz up old clothes. It’s much easier than you think to design your own t-shirt, so why not give it a go? Liven up your old wardrobe with this guide on how to make your own T shirts:
1. Choose an image that you’d like on your T-shirt. This image is going to be made into a stencil, so letters that are easily cut out and a simple shaped image is best. Stencil style lettering is good for DIY T-shirts!
2. Open your image in a word document in landscape mode by going to page setup. Having your image in landscape mode will allow you to make your letters and image bigger than if it were in standard portrait mode.
3. Print out your stencils. Try to print out your stencil on a thicker paper such as Card Stock, otherwise you might find your paper will curl up as soon as the paint touches it, ruining your work. You’ll also be able to reuse the stencil if printed on a thicker type of paper.
4. Use a regular crafting knife to cut out the letters and image from your paper. Scissors will not work and will ruin your stencil! Try to keep your lines straight, turning the paper as you need to. You may even need to turn your hand and the paper together at some points. Curved parts of images are much harder so make sure you really take your time when carving out your stencil. You can then poke out the letters and shapes that you’ve carved and you should have your stencil ready to use. Stick masking tape around the edges to keep the stencil still while you paint.
5. Now it’s the time to paint your T-shirt. Remember the key is to use just enough paint, too much can cause the image to leak and bleed. Latex or textile paint is best for projects such as this.
6. Use an ironing board covered with some sort of protection to separate the front and back of your T-shirt to make sure no paint bleeds through. Instead of painting your T-shirt with strokes, use dabbing and stabbing motions to fill in the stencil.
7. Carefully peel off the stencil once you’ve given it a short while to set. Your T-shirt will then need to be left alone on the ironing board for around 20 minutes before you can hang it on a hanger. After a couple of hours your T-shirt should be ready to wear!
8. If you feel you are a bit of an artist, why not forget the stencil and paint your very own design onto your T-shirt free hand? You’ll have a one off, bespoke design that nobody else has, with the satisfaction of knowing you made it yourself.
9. There are plenty of other ways you can get creative with T-shirts, including iron on stickers, studs, diamantes, badges and even Tie-dye techniques using Dylon fabric dye.
10. If you like your t shirt and other people like it, why not consider talking to a bulk t shirt printing company, who will be able to give you a quote on printing many of your t shirt designs. Heck, you could start your own t shirt business… you never know 🙂
Popular How To Guides
How To Increase Sales in Your Consulting, Coaching or Advisory Business
When you hear the word “sales” what comes to mind? Do you see a Used Car Salesman the dealership? Do...
How to Clean Your Patio and Outdoor Furniture
When you keep your patio clean regularly, it will look brand new all the time. It will be inviting and...
How to Make Money Online (Shortcuts Tips)
Are you tired of all the get rich fast ideas, and how to make money online? Learn how to make...
How To Grow The Best Roses In Your Garden
The best roses to grow in your garden are those that require the least maintenance and can resist destruction from...
How to Make Money from Online Casino Bonuses
Today, virtually every single online casino dishes out welcome packages to new customers in the form of bonus money and...
How To Build A Raised Pond In Your Garden
Designers of contemporary gardens often try to avoid natural features and create highly organised, geometrical gardens instead. Raised garden ponds...
How To Play Blackjack
Blackjack is a simple card game. Your goal in blackjack is just to achieve a combined score of twenty-one with...
How to Boost Your Odds of Winning the Lottery
Have you ever thought about what your life would be like if you won the lottery? Visualize having the necessary...
Business2 years ago
5 Things You Must Consider Before Starting A Construction Company
Cars & Vehicles3 years ago
How To Deal With A Driving Offence (Quick Tips)
Games / Video Games10 months ago
How To Connect a Mouse and Keyboard to Your PlayStation 4
Cleaning4 years ago
How to Make a Shower Tray Look Like New
Cars & Vehicles10 months ago
Can You Really Afford That Car? How To Know If You Are Making The Right Decision
Business3 months ago
How To Make Money on Binary Options Trading at Home
Sport10 months ago
How To Get Into A New Sport: 10 Inspiring Tips
Business4 years ago
How to Make Your Own Mini Conveyor Belt