Setting the dinner table: posh people in fancy frocks and suits make it look so easy, and yet there are many people out there who become alarmingly confused when it’s time to put out the cutlery (I was once one of those alarmingly confused people!). Whether you’re having a fancy meal or a casual dinner with friends, setting the table is important. You need to remember where to put the plates, knives, forks, spoons, and glasses to be successful and make the table look good – which actually isn’t too hard and can easily be remembered for all occasions with two simple techniques!
Setting a Formal Dinner Table
Setting a formal dinner table for a more fancy dinner can look difficult, but we’ve got it covered!
1. All guests should have a matching placemat, and these should also match the tablecloth. Arrange the placemats first, one in front of each of your guests places.
2. Napkins are an important part of a formal dinner, as they allow guests to politely wipe away any food from the face and protect posh frocks while they’re at it. Place a napkin for each guest to the left side of the placemat.
3. Place a plate in the middle of each placemat, ideally just covering the right side of the napkin.
4. Utensils go from the outside in, so your dinner fork needs to be closest to your plate with the salad fork a little further away. The prongs should be facing away from the diner. Place the knife on the other side of the plate in the same way, with the blade of the knife facing the plate away from the diner.
5. A teaspoon should be placed at the left side of the knife, which will be used for hot drinks after dinner. Place a soup spoon next to the teaspoon if serving soup as a starter.
6. Wine glasses should be at the top right corner of the placemat.
You’re done! Now for the next setting:
Setting a Casual Dinner Table
There isn’t as much pressure when setting a casual dinner table as there is when setting a formal dinner table, so just relax and follow these instructions:
1. Give everybody a placemat (these can be a more casual style than at a formal meal), and set a napkin to the left.
2. Pop a plate in the middle of the placemat. Although this is a casual get together, it will still look better if all plates match.
3. Place the dinner fork to the left of the plate, and the knife to the right of the plate. If you’re serving soup, add a soup spoon to the right of the knife. You don’t have as many knives and forks as you traditionally do with a formal meal.
4. Place a wine glass and a water glass just above the knife and soup spoon.
You’re done! Not so hard after all, is it? In both cases, the only other thing you need to remember is to give your guests enough room to eat without knocking and bumping one another. Enjoy and good luck!
Popular How To Guides
How To Keep Up with Big Data Tools & Trends in 2019
Big data is a field that is promising major shake-ups in the year 2019. With every business getting concerned with...
How to Start Your Own Trucking Business
Today, the trucking industry is lucrative, and if you have an entrepreneurial spirit, you can start your own trucking business....
How to find a great-value deal on car insurance
If your jaw dropped when you clapped eyes on the most recent bill for your car insurance, there could be...
How to Get These 5 Massive Benefits from Guest Blogging
Running a business is no easy task. One of the first things you’ll have to worry about is perfecting your...
How to Use a VPN to Watch Your Favorite Shows While Traveling
Traveling abroad is always a good opportunity to see new things and get new experiences. However, the urge to get...
How To Build Forms – An Expert Review of AidaForm
A business website is incomplete without forms. You will need forms to gather customer feedback, for member sign-up, to post...
How To Choose The Right Psychic For Your Needs
Psychics are individuals with specialties, not all are the same and everyone has a unique skill or specialty you need...
How to Improve your Health with Phytochemical Substances
Although unrecognizable by most, phytochemicals are very important to humanity and our wellbeing. This is because phytochemical substances are widely...
Business4 years ago
5 Things You Must Consider Before Starting A Construction Company
Non Featured2 years ago
How To Get Into A New Sport: 10 Inspiring Tips
Cars & Vehicles4 years ago
How To Deal With A Driving Offence (Quick Tips)
Games / Video Games2 years ago
How To Connect a Mouse and Keyboard to Your PlayStation 4
Non Featured3 years ago
How to Spend Your Savings Responsibly For An Easier Retirement
Cleaning6 years ago
How to Make a Shower Tray Look Like New
Fun2 years ago
How to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse
Home, DIY and Garden5 years ago
How To Build Your Own Fitted Wardrobes