Setting the dinner table: posh people in fancy frocks and suits make it look so easy, and yet there are many people out there who become alarmingly confused when it’s time to put out the cutlery (I was once one of those alarmingly confused people!). Whether you’re having a fancy meal or a casual dinner with friends, setting the table is important. You need to remember where to put the plates, knives, forks, spoons, and glasses to be successful and make the table look good – which actually isn’t too hard and can easily be remembered for all occasions with two simple techniques!
Setting a Formal Dinner Table
Setting a formal dinner table for a more fancy dinner can look difficult, but we’ve got it covered!
1. All guests should have a matching placemat, and these should also match the tablecloth. Arrange the placemats first, one in front of each of your guests places.
2. Napkins are an important part of a formal dinner, as they allow guests to politely wipe away any food from the face and protect posh frocks while they’re at it. Place a napkin for each guest to the left side of the placemat.
3. Place a plate in the middle of each placemat, ideally just covering the right side of the napkin.
4. Utensils go from the outside in, so your dinner fork needs to be closest to your plate with the salad fork a little further away. The prongs should be facing away from the diner. Place the knife on the other side of the plate in the same way, with the blade of the knife facing the plate away from the diner.
5. A teaspoon should be placed at the left side of the knife, which will be used for hot drinks after dinner. Place a soup spoon next to the teaspoon if serving soup as a starter.
6. Wine glasses should be at the top right corner of the placemat.
You’re done! Now for the next setting:
Setting a Casual Dinner Table
There isn’t as much pressure when setting a casual dinner table as there is when setting a formal dinner table, so just relax and follow these instructions:
1. Give everybody a placemat (these can be a more casual style than at a formal meal), and set a napkin to the left.
2. Pop a plate in the middle of the placemat. Although this is a casual get together, it will still look better if all plates match.
3. Place the dinner fork to the left of the plate, and the knife to the right of the plate. If you’re serving soup, add a soup spoon to the right of the knife. You don’t have as many knives and forks as you traditionally do with a formal meal.
4. Place a wine glass and a water glass just above the knife and soup spoon.
You’re done! Not so hard after all, is it? In both cases, the only other thing you need to remember is to give your guests enough room to eat without knocking and bumping one another. Enjoy and good luck!
Popular How To Guides
How To Upgrade Your Boat For Maximum Value For Money
So you’ve managed to save enough money to buy a boat and you are now the proud owner of a...
How to Lay Floor Tiles like a Professional
Installing your own floor tiles is a DIY job that can make a huge difference to the look and feel...
How To Choose The Best Design Aspects For Your Website
Designing the perfect website can take time, particularly as there are a number of elements to consider. With usability and...
How To Be A Better Trader
In the process of trading with currency pairs, there have to be some good preparation. You may think about the...
How to Save Money on Healthcare
The American health insurance system is complicated; in 2017, one in five uninsured adults went without healthcare because they couldn’t afford the...
How To Get The Best Car Insurance in Canada – 10 Key Facts
Automobile insurance can be tricky to understand with complex terminologies and a whole bunch of rules and regulations that differ...
How to Fund Your Trips as a Digital Nomad
There is certainly no shortage of people hopping on the remote online business bandwagon. Some of these people have even...
How to Find a Competent Road Accident Lawyer
Whenever there is a road accident involving a commercial vehicle, corporations and insurance companies mobilize their vast resources to employ...
Business4 years ago
5 Things You Must Consider Before Starting A Construction Company
Non Featured3 years ago
How To Get Into A New Sport: 10 Inspiring Tips
Cars & Vehicles5 years ago
How To Deal With A Driving Offence (Quick Tips)
Games / Video Games3 years ago
How To Connect a Mouse and Keyboard to Your PlayStation 4
Non Featured4 years ago
How to Spend Your Savings Responsibly For An Easier Retirement
Cleaning6 years ago
How to Make a Shower Tray Look Like New
Home, DIY and Garden6 years ago
How To Build Your Own Fitted Wardrobes
Fun3 years ago
How to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse