The best way to enjoy your children is to engage with them when they are young, the time to make memories. There are certain projects you can do together that are great fun and that you will always remember. One of them is to build a home made dolls house from cardboard and paper. Now, it may not be as grand as the one in the image but in a child’s eyes it will be perfect.
If you are thinking about building a dolls house with your daughter, here are some tips to help with your creation.
- Corrugated Cardboard
- Lining Paper
- Craft Knife
- Hot Melt Glue Gun
- To begin, make sheets of strong cardboard by using two layers of corrugated card stuck together, with the corrugations running at ninety degrees to each other. Doubling them up makes them strong and less likely to fold.
- Make a base from card.
- Cut the outer walls out of the double layered card. The size is entirely your choice. You may determine it by the size of the porcelain doll that will live there, or space constraints may be the determining factor. The main walls to measure and cut are for the sides and back. If you wish to fit a roof, slope the side walls at the top, to accommodate it. The cardboard must be cut with a craft knife and ruler because it is too thick to be cut neatly with scissors.
- Cut the roof pieces.
- Assemble the walls and roof using hot glue.
- When the main structure is assembled, cover it in lining paper using PVA glue mixed with 50% water, to add strength to the joints and toughen up the whole structure.
- Design and print wallpaper using a computer and printer, a great way to introduce your little one to modern technology. The colours and patterns are their choices using basic drawing applications.
- Paint the house in whatever colours your child wishes. Using water based paints, apply several coats.
- Apply the wallpaper using PVA glue.
- Make carpets from pieces of felt and apply them with glue.
- Cut out a large piece of cardboard for the front of the house. Mark the position of windows and the front door and cut them out.
- Cover the front of the house with lining paper in the same way as the house.
- Paint and decorate the front of the house. This piece simply lifts out of the way when the child wishes to play with the house; there is no need to attach it.
Once the house is assembled, set to work on building furniture out of card too, to match the house you have so lovingly crafted. There are dolls house shops online that sell every item you can imagine, but they are expensive. Whether you choose to buy and make use of them is a personal decision.
Once the house is complete, your little girl will fall in love with it. What looks like an old box covered in paper to us looks like a magical palace full of imaginative possibilities to a young excited mind. Your pleasure comes from the time spent building it together. That is missing from a shop bought house.
Popular How To Guides
How To See the Sights of London in One Weekend
If you have never been to London before, you may be wondering where to start with a plethora of landmarks...
How To Trade Forex – Forex Trading Tips You Shouldn’t Ignore
The stock market can be an extremely profitable way of earning a living, however, it can also be highly stressful...
How to Prepare for a Coaching Session
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail – the mantra of any good coach. Before any training session, as a coach,...
How To Become A Competent Hunter
Public interest in hunting had hit a bit of a lull between 2015 and now. However, 16.9 million hunted in Spring of...
How To Get Your Kids Ready For Their First Baseball Game
The first baseball game that you kids play is an exciting time for a parent. There is no better feeling...
How To Start Following Horse Racing
Following horse racing is one of the world’s most popular pasttimes, particularly with those who wager on a regular basis....
How To Convert and Download YouTube videos to your Local Hard Drive
YouTube is a great platform but the second you lose your internet connection, it becomes obsolete. Without a steady connection...
How To Play The Lottery: Five Things You Need To Know Before Playing
Lotteries are the world’s most popular form of gambling, as the low stakes with potentially life-changing returns are just too...
Business2 years ago
5 Things You Must Consider Before Starting A Construction Company
Cars & Vehicles3 years ago
How To Deal With A Driving Offence (Quick Tips)
Games / Video Games12 months ago
How To Connect a Mouse and Keyboard to Your PlayStation 4
Sport1 year ago
How To Get Into A New Sport: 10 Inspiring Tips
Cleaning4 years ago
How to Make a Shower Tray Look Like New
Business4 years ago
How to Make Your Own Mini Conveyor Belt
Home Maintenance & Repair4 years ago
How To Build Your Own Fitted Wardrobes
Cars & Vehicles12 months ago
Can You Really Afford That Car? How To Know If You Are Making The Right Decision