A TENs machine is an effective nerve stimulation machine for some. The machine allows women to use a handheld device to give them relief during intense labour pains, and is a totally non invasive and natural way to do so. The TENs machine has loads of benefits, including; the possibility of eliminating the need for medical pain relief, relaxing you during pregnancy, and having no side effects on you or your baby. Your labour could seem over in minutes rather than hours, and you’ll eliminate much of the pain you would have felt had you not decided to use a TENs machine.
How to Use Your TENs Machine
You should always follow the manufacturers instructions when it comes to using your TENs machine. However, the instructions will usually go as follows:
- Two pads will be placed on either side of your spine, so that they are around the level of your bra strap.
- The other two pads will go at the bottom of your back, just above your bum. Gel on the pads will help them to adhere to your skin better.
- You’ll be able to hold the controller in your hand while in labour, allowing you to give relief as you choose. There are various strength buttons you can select with the machine, including a max strength button that could help to get you through very strong contractions.
How Exactly Does a TENs Machine Work?
There’s a theory that the machine helps to block the pain signals travelling to your brain due to the electrical pulses. The pulses could also encourage your body to produce it’s natural ‘feel good’ hormone, endorphins. It’s probably a combination of both of these that do the trick, along with the fact that you’ll feel more in control of your childbirth and have something to distract you from the pain. There is a lack of evidence that actually suggest these machine’s work, but many mothers swear by them and use them all throughout their pregnancies.
When and How Should You Use a TENs Machine?
You’re normally told to use a TENs machine at the very start of your labour. It’s up to you as to whether you’d like to hire, buy, or borrow a TENs machine. You may also need to buy some TENs replacement pads, just incase.
- Start on the lowest setting at first. When your pains get stronger, increase the intensity of the machine.
- When you’re hitting the peak of contractions, use the boost button to get the most out of the machine.
- Turn the boost button off when you’re contraction has stopped, or you may not feel the benefit of it next time.
The only times you shouldn’t use a TENs machine are:
- If you’re less than 37 weeks pregnant.
- If you have a pacemaker or heart problem.
- If you are using water as another method of pain relief.
- If you have epilepsy.
By choosing to use this natural method of pain relief, you could be making the pregnancy less stressful and painful for both you and your baby. Have you used a TENs machine during childbirth? Let us know in the comments!
Popular How To Guides
How To Upgrade Your Boat For Maximum Value For Money
So you’ve managed to save enough money to buy a boat and you are now the proud owner of a...
How to Lay Floor Tiles like a Professional
Installing your own floor tiles is a DIY job that can make a huge difference to the look and feel...
How To Choose The Best Design Aspects For Your Website
Designing the perfect website can take time, particularly as there are a number of elements to consider. With usability and...
How To Be A Better Trader
In the process of trading with currency pairs, there have to be some good preparation. You may think about the...
How to Save Money on Healthcare
The American health insurance system is complicated; in 2017, one in five uninsured adults went without healthcare because they couldn’t afford the...
How To Get The Best Car Insurance in Canada – 10 Key Facts
Automobile insurance can be tricky to understand with complex terminologies and a whole bunch of rules and regulations that differ...
How to Fund Your Trips as a Digital Nomad
There is certainly no shortage of people hopping on the remote online business bandwagon. Some of these people have even...
How to Find a Competent Road Accident Lawyer
Whenever there is a road accident involving a commercial vehicle, corporations and insurance companies mobilize their vast resources to employ...
Business4 years ago
5 Things You Must Consider Before Starting A Construction Company
Non Featured3 years ago
How To Get Into A New Sport: 10 Inspiring Tips
Cars & Vehicles5 years ago
How To Deal With A Driving Offence (Quick Tips)
Games / Video Games3 years ago
How To Connect a Mouse and Keyboard to Your PlayStation 4
Non Featured4 years ago
How to Spend Your Savings Responsibly For An Easier Retirement
Cleaning6 years ago
How to Make a Shower Tray Look Like New
Home, DIY and Garden6 years ago
How To Build Your Own Fitted Wardrobes
Fun3 years ago
How to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse