A TENs machine is an effective nerve stimulation machine for some. The machine allows women to use a handheld device to give them relief during intense labour pains, and is a totally non invasive and natural way to do so. The TENs machine has loads of benefits, including; the possibility of eliminating the need for medical pain relief, relaxing you during pregnancy, and having no side effects on you or your baby. Your labour could seem over in minutes rather than hours, and you’ll eliminate much of the pain you would have felt had you not decided to use a TENs machine.
How to Use Your TENs Machine
You should always follow the manufacturers instructions when it comes to using your TENs machine. However, the instructions will usually go as follows:
- Two pads will be placed on either side of your spine, so that they are around the level of your bra strap.
- The other two pads will go at the bottom of your back, just above your bum. Gel on the pads will help them to adhere to your skin better.
- You’ll be able to hold the controller in your hand while in labour, allowing you to give relief as you choose. There are various strength buttons you can select with the machine, including a max strength button that could help to get you through very strong contractions.
How Exactly Does a TENs Machine Work?
There’s a theory that the machine helps to block the pain signals travelling to your brain due to the electrical pulses. The pulses could also encourage your body to produce it’s natural ‘feel good’ hormone, endorphins. It’s probably a combination of both of these that do the trick, along with the fact that you’ll feel more in control of your childbirth and have something to distract you from the pain. There is a lack of evidence that actually suggest these machine’s work, but many mothers swear by them and use them all throughout their pregnancies.
When and How Should You Use a TENs Machine?
You’re normally told to use a TENs machine at the very start of your labour. It’s up to you as to whether you’d like to hire, buy, or borrow a TENs machine. You may also need to buy some TENs replacement pads, just incase.
- Start on the lowest setting at first. When your pains get stronger, increase the intensity of the machine.
- When you’re hitting the peak of contractions, use the boost button to get the most out of the machine.
- Turn the boost button off when you’re contraction has stopped, or you may not feel the benefit of it next time.
The only times you shouldn’t use a TENs machine are:
- If you’re less than 37 weeks pregnant.
- If you have a pacemaker or heart problem.
- If you are using water as another method of pain relief.
- If you have epilepsy.
By choosing to use this natural method of pain relief, you could be making the pregnancy less stressful and painful for both you and your baby. Have you used a TENs machine during childbirth? Let us know in the comments!
Popular How To Guides
How to Plan Your Dog’s Meal on a Budget
Giving our pets the best food is the dream of every pet owner but sometimes financial restrictions hamper these dreams...
How To Prepare for Your Auto Insurance Policy
Many lives have been saved as their auto insurance ensured that they were quickly and adequately treated when they were...
How to Make a Small Space Work on a Budget
If you find yourself in need of storage Stratford solutions, then you will need to look at your budget. This...
How To Select A Reliable Business Car
As a busy business owner, you’re going to be travelling quite a lot. For your company car, you’ll want a...
How To Select The Best LIC Insurance Policy
LIC the top insurance firm in India which provides a wide range of LIC policy plans in various sectors. It...
How To Plan The Perfect Places To Visit in Colorado
Colorado is internationally known for its stunning mountain ranges, wildlife, and outdoor activities. Denver, its capital offers numerous museums for...
How to Make a Successful Blog 2018
As we’ve just entered 2018, we suggest that blogging can be one of the best methods to share your ideas...
How To Create the Perfect Garden with These Tips
If it is all about your first home or you want to spend your retirement developing a beautiful garden, the...
Business3 years ago
5 Things You Must Consider Before Starting A Construction Company
Cars & Vehicles3 years ago
How To Deal With A Driving Offence (Quick Tips)
Non Featured1 year ago
How To Get Into A New Sport: 10 Inspiring Tips
Games / Video Games1 year ago
How To Connect a Mouse and Keyboard to Your PlayStation 4
Cleaning5 years ago
How to Make a Shower Tray Look Like New
Fun1 year ago
How to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse
Business4 years ago
How to Make Your Own Mini Conveyor Belt
Home Maintenance & Repair4 years ago
How To Build Your Own Fitted Wardrobes