Cars are one of the most expensive things we have to buy, so it’s important we do what we can to get one as cheap as possible. The secret to getting a car cheaper is haggling, and if you don’t know how to haggle at all or can’t do it without feeling very cheeky, we’re here to help you! Read on for tips on how to get your car cheaper:
Do Your Research
It’s really important that you do your research before you begin to haggle. Follow this advice:
- Get a car valuation – the seller could be asking for too much money and getting your own car valuation will allow you to ask them to drop the price.
- Get a car history check – you might find the car has been in an accident, or even worse was stolen.
- Inspect the car yourself for any potential problems – if there are any areas that require maintenance you will be able to ask for a discount.
- Take the car on a test drive to see how it feels on the road – any faults? Make sure you report them and haggle.
- Check the car documents – If the documents are incomplete something could be dodgy.
If any of these things give you reason to haggle, then DO IT. Even if you’ve only found a minor problem or something that could become a problem, haggle. If you don’t ask, you won’t get!
How To Haggle
1. What do you want to pay for this car? Make sure you have a clear figure in your head of the max amount you’re willing to pay and stick to it. Don’t let pushy salesmen pressure you into paying more.
2. How much will repairs and maintenance needed cost you to begin with? Call a garage to help you if you need to.
3. You should always start out bidding quite low and allow the seller to get you up to a comfortable middle ground. Start too high and there’s no turning it around!
4. Remember that haggling doesn’t just have to be about the price. What about a tank of petrol or car servicing?
5. Don’t be confrontational, and always keep your cool.
6. If you can’t reach an agreement with the seller there and then, you might find they call you afterwards to accept.
7. If you don’t get the deal you wanted, remember there are loads of other cars out there!
- Haggling at the end of the month will mean you’re more likely to be successful as dealers want to hit their sales targets.
- Ask for extra equipment, such as air conditioning, alloy wheels, fuel, mats, etc.
- If a new model is about to launch staff are likely to try and get rid of older models.
- Your emotions can stop you getting a great deal – always remain calm.
Now you know exactly how to haggle your way to a better price on your new car. Remember; if the first one doesn’t go your way, there will always be another car and another deal!
Popular How To Guides
How to Pick the Best Cryptocurrency Broker
For a cryptocurrency trader, their broker is the most important member of their team, the MVP, the key to their...
How to Hike the Grand Canyon
The famous Spanish conquistador Don García López de Cárdenas was the first European to set eyes on the Grand Canyon....
How To See the Sights of London in One Weekend
If you have never been to London before, you may be wondering where to start with a plethora of landmarks...
How To Trade Forex – Forex Trading Tips You Shouldn’t Ignore
The stock market can be an extremely profitable way of earning a living, however, it can also be highly stressful...
How to Prepare for a Coaching Session
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail – the mantra of any good coach. Before any training session, as a coach,...
How To Become A Competent Hunter
Public interest in hunting had hit a bit of a lull between 2015 and now. However, 16.9 million hunted in Spring of...
How To Get Your Kids Ready For Their First Baseball Game
The first baseball game that you kids play is an exciting time for a parent. There is no better feeling...
How To Start Following Horse Racing
Following horse racing is one of the world’s most popular pasttimes, particularly with those who wager on a regular basis....
Business2 years ago
5 Things You Must Consider Before Starting A Construction Company
Cars & Vehicles3 years ago
How To Deal With A Driving Offence (Quick Tips)
Games / Video Games1 year ago
How To Connect a Mouse and Keyboard to Your PlayStation 4
Sport1 year ago
How To Get Into A New Sport: 10 Inspiring Tips
Cleaning5 years ago
How to Make a Shower Tray Look Like New
Business4 years ago
How to Make Your Own Mini Conveyor Belt
Home Maintenance & Repair4 years ago
How To Build Your Own Fitted Wardrobes
Cars & Vehicles1 year ago
Can You Really Afford That Car? How To Know If You Are Making The Right Decision